Collaboration and Success
It is important that we are all collaborating together for success. Here are some ideas that can help with the process in your own home. According to research, the most accurate predictor of a student’s achievement is not income or social status, but the extent to which a student’s family is able to:
- Create a home environment that encourages learning.
- Communicate high, yet reasonable expectations for your child’s achievement and future careers.
- Become involved your child’s education at school and in the community.
These three steps require dedication and commitment from all students, staff and parents. The benefit of this investment in time and effort is well worth the future success of all children.
Benefits of Parent Engagement
- Students achieve more, regardless of socio-economic, ethnic/racial background of parent’s education level.
- Students have higher grades and test scores, better attendance and complete homework more consistently.
- Students have higher graduation rates and greater enrollment in post-secondary education.
- Educators hold higher expectations of students whose parents collaborate with the teacher.
- Student achievement for disadvantaged children not only improves, but can also reach levels that are standard for middle-class children. The children who are the farthest behind, make the biggest gain.
- Children from diverse backgrounds perform better when parents and professionals collaborate to bridge the gap between the culture at home and at school.
- Student behaviors such as alcohol use, violence, and antisocial behavior decrease as parent engagement increases.
- Students keep pace with academic performance if their parents participate in school events, develop a working relationship with teachers, and keep up with what is happening with your child’s school.
Each member of the school community plays a critical role in the academic and personal success of our students. We encourage you to continue your current efforts. However, we are challenging you to take your effort to the next level and become more involved with your child’s education.