10 Ways To Prevent Summer Slide
Did you know that children can lose up to three (3) months of academic progress over Summer vacation?
Here are ten things you can do to help your child avoid the Summer slide:
- 1. Read EVERY day!
- Read non-fiction, fiction, e-books, poetry, newspaper and read out loud.
- For most kids twenty (20) minutes is an appropriate amount of time to read for a child who is an independent reader. Check out the Warren Library for Summer reading programs.
- 2. Cook with your children.
- This is one of the best ways to integrate math, reading, science and following directions. Maybe your child could make a cookbook for your family.
- 3. Plant a garden, this will help with responsibility and pride as they watch things grow.
- 4. Take local field trips. Go to a museum, the zoo or a local park with walking trails. Have the kids keep a journal about their travels.
- 5. Learn a new word each week! Hand it on the fridge and see who can use that new word the most throughout the week.
- 6. Be on the look-out for any local Summer learning programs. Check out the Warren Public Library.
- 7. Play quick games with cards or math flash cards.
- 8. to Audio books during longer road trips.
- 9. Take pictures of your adventures and make a Summer scrapbook.
- 10. Did I mention READ! If your child does nothing else this Summer, make sure he/she is reading.
Mr. Kerry R. Keener, Ed.S